Fall is my favorite season of the year. I love the feeling of when the outside temperature starts dropping, you cozy up under a blanket, light a good smelling candle and watch football with a mug of pumpkin spice latte. There’s nothing better in this world!
I also love fall fashion! Again, I just love the coziness of it all! There are a few autumn staples in my closet that I wear all the time throughout fall. These are investment items, too! Spend a little more on these and you can wear them year after year. They are all classics and completely timeless so you can’t go wrong!
- Denim Jacket: I’m a firm believer that every girl needs a good, basic, denim jacket in her closet. For me, a denim jacket is a year round piece, but I find myself reaching for it time and time again as the weather starts cooling off outside. It goes with just about anything, you can wear it indoors and outdoors, can dress it up or down, and as long as it’s a classic/clean style of denim, you can wear it for years to come. Just this year, I purchased THIS jacket from Amazon’s Daily Ritual line, however, the jacket I had before was from Gap, and I have owned it since my sophomore year in college…that’s 13 years, people! Buy classics, take care of them, and you will get your money’s worth!
- Lightweight striped shirt: Anyone that knows me knows I LOVE a striped shirt! And for good reason…they’re incredibly versatile in a wardrobe. Of course, they can be worn alone or with a scarf, but a lightweight striped shirt can also be worn under cardigans or as a layering piece under sweaters. It also looked great paired with other prints, especially leopard and camo.
- Tunic Length Sweater: This is another must for your closet once the cooler weather rolls in. Tunics provide just the perfect amount of cozy for cooler temps and they always look so chic with big blanket scarves. Also, you will need a tunic sweater to pull off wearing leggings throughout the fall. Also, depending on what length of tunic sweater you purchase, you shorter girls can sometimes even get away with wearing these as sweater dresses with tall riding boots. However, if you’re 5’10 like me, I wouldn’t suggest trying this! You’ll end up showing more than you intended!
- Booties: I absolutely love booties in the fall! I find I wear booties far more than tall riding boots. They’re more versatile, in my opinion, as you can wear them with any kind of jean, no matter the hem. Also, since they’re not as dramatic as riding boots, they transition to everyday styles more easily. They’re easy to throw on with just about any pant, jean, skirt, or dress in your closet, as where riding boots will require a bit more thought in what bottom you are pairing it with.
- Black Jeans: Black jeans are to fall as what white jeans are to summer. These are the #1 go-to for me in the fall. Straight leg black skinnies are so incredibly chic and classic (Audrey Hepburn vibes!) If you find some with no distressing or destructed knees, they can be easily dressed up, and even made work appropriate. Pair anything in your closet with black skinnies instead of blue jeans, and it instantly elevates your style with no extra work or thought on your part! That’s easy enough for me!
These are my fall must-haves! What is the staple item in your closet that you couldn’t make it through autumn without?